Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Letter to The Post: 1 August 2006

Ten years after the press release preceding this note today, Angelus Mubita wrote this letter to The Post newspaper of Zambia:

Being a Linvingstone born and raised Zambia citizen, I vividly recall the old times when my companions and I rode along the banks of the Zambezi from the boat club to the Victoria Falls, seeing elephants and crocodiles along the way...It makes sad news to hear that the tourist capital's conveniently located Park will be developed into a country club, hotels and a golf course. That development implies that the park will be no more (correct me if I am wrong). In turn, many low and middle class locals like me will be deprived of our nation's wildlife sights, which we can manage to visit at minimal costs given that we cannot afford visitations of the far-flung national parks, much as 300 paying jobs will be generated.

In the meantime, ZAWA is now 'selling out' the precious park to businessmen who will externalize the estimated US$67.5 million that will be generated from tourists per year. I urge ZAWA (and the Zambian government through the Vice-President) to rescind this decision before the US$9 million down-payment from Legacy group is spent on projects that will not benefit neither the locals nor the animals in other parks!

No comments: